Sunday, March 16, 2014

First Impressions of Gmail

First impressions aren’t always accurate...

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of Gmail at first. When my district first started using Gmail, I didn’t like it, I didn’t want to use it, I wanted nothing to do with it. That’s because I didn’t know enough about it. I didn’t want to stop using my Apple mail app, which I had grown very attached to.

I’m so glad I decided to take part in this journey with my fellow educators to become Google certified. I’ve learned so much already and it’s only our first topic! I feel much more confident with Gmail and actually really like it more than my Apple mail now!

I think I'm label crazy! I love using labels to categorize my email and appreciate the fact that I can use more than one label for each email. I also find being able to use filters to automatically handle any incoming email a real time saver.

Right now my favorite feature of Gmail is the task list. So many times I have forgotten to add a task to my to do list after I read an email. Now I can do it as soon as I read the email. And I love being able to cross off completed tasks - makes me feel so productive!

With all of Gmail's features, it's like having a personal assistant. I just switched over my personal email from Yahoo to Gmail so I can take advantage of all Google has to offer me in my personal life too.

Earlier this week, a colleague asked me to help her with a problem she was having with her Gmail account. If she had asked me that same question a week ago, I would not have been able to help her. But thanks to all I have learned from the Gmail training, I actually could help her! We were both thrilled!!

So, if you're not already using Gmail, you should give it a try. And if you are already using Gmail, keep reading through all of our posts to learn how you can utilize Gmail to its fullest. Follow our blogs over the next several weeks to learn about great features of all the other Google apps too!


2 comments:

  1. I've been using Google for a while now and I had no idea of all the great features it had to offer. I'm with you, I'm so glad I found this group of blogger friends to take this journey with! I'm learning even more then I did just doing the lessons on my own! Thanks for sharing your take on it! I also agree with you on the tasks! It's pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a great feeling when you can help others and a great feeling when you have other like minded people to collaborate with on something that is meaningful to you.

    ReplyDelete